Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I love cats...



By now I'm sure ya'll have heard about the mountain lion attack last week in California. In Humboldt county to be exact. And yes, that's where we live! The attack took place @ Prairie Creek State Park (I think that's the name...I know how to get there, but I never really paid attention to the name...) where we've hiked several times. There are many Roosevelt elks there and the hike is very pleasant and easy, so we like to go there with the kids. Well, well, we need to rethink about this now! We always made sure that kids don't go too far from us, in case of a cat attack, but I wasn't too seriously concerned. Now I know was very wrong!


I thought about arming ourselves with firearms (is that legal?) but Devin reminded me that if the cat is attacking, by the time I get the gun out, it's probably got one of us in its mouth...and that might make it rather difficult to shoot just the cat and not the person! So perhaps the pen would work better. Of course in the case of the Fortuna couple, the pen broke, so I better take a very strong pen...hmmmmm.


Kepler always likes to collect big sticks and carry them along the trail "in case of a cat attack." I guess he was much better prepared than I thought one ought to be!

No comments: