Thursday, February 08, 2007

Time traveling

It's been a relatively dry winter for us this year (note:relatively). Though it's been raining for 2 days now, it was pretty nice and dry on Tuesday, so we went out for a walk!




Our destination was Old Town Eureka. This was the main part of our town when the town first started 150 years ago. It is right next to the bay and there are many old buildings still standing. In fact there's a whole block that hasn't changed a bit since the buildings were built between 1884-1904!

While walking, I noticed a cute sign.





This belongs to a building that currently house a little restaurant/pub kind of place. It's right across the street from the pier.


It must have been beautiful in its prime! I can only imagine someone sitting by the window upstairs in turn-of-the-century outfit. I love everyday history!! California is a pretty new state and yet it's full of places that let's you imagine the past (my favorite time period is the 1920s). Can't imagine what it must be like to live back east where the history is much richer and longer. Or Europe or any other place with really long history.

Speaking of history, Kepler just studied the old Indian dynasty (Gupta) and is now moving on to the beginning of Islam. Next is China I think. He's also been reading a lot on his own. He reads over 1000 pages each month. This month he's about to finish Inkheart, which is about 530 pages long with almost no illustration at all!





Tesla got a new toy recently. It's phonics blocks. The package consists of color coded blocks with vowels, consonants, consonant blends, vowel combos, etc, activity booklet, dry erase board, dry erase marker and activity cards. She can look at the cards and try to spell the words shown using the blocks. Then she can practice writing them!



That's all for now! I better get school started!

No comments: